I want a Wi-Fi to stereo out adapter

Danny O'Brien danny@spesh.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:17:10 -0700

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 01:07:06AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Dan Kohn wrote:
>
> > Here's a simple enough product I would like to buy, that doesn't
> > currently seem to exist.  I want a network sound receiver (NSR)
>
> I think this is a fantastic idea!  I want one!
>
> > Note that Bluetooth originally planned to offer this, but Bluetooth has
> > now been declared dead. ... There are several offerings in this space ...
>
> My bet on this front is 802.11b.  Just as more general and "dumber"
> networking protocols developed for wired WANs displaced "smarter" protocols
> developed and optimized for wired LANs, so too in the wireless space.  It's
> a pattern:  TheRiseOfTheStupidNetwork. [1]  I'm betting it happens in the
> home interconnect space as well.

>  You need three guys:  the Linux guy, the motherboard guy, and the
> ex-VC or ex-CE director product marketing guy.  Until you've got prototype,
> the latter guy is hitting the funding trail while the first camp out in a
> garage somewhere.
>
> This deal is fundable only on the West Coast, if at all in this environment.
>
> And it's gotta cost under $200.
>
> Sounds like fun;  if I wasn't wrapped up in the current play, I'd be in.
> Anyone else?

I'd love to, but I'm none of those guys. My only other suggestion: while
you're selling them that, sell them on the idea of an 802.11 phone
handset as the next product. (There are, strangely, a few of these
around, but they're just for proprietary
voice-over-your-company-ethernet ventures. Make it an open h.323 kinda
guy, and I bet something interesting happens).

d.