I want a Wi-Fi to stereo out adapter

Steve Dossick Steve@KnowNow.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:05:16 -0700

Cool idea.  I think you could do this right now with one of the existing
ethernet-enabled units in a couple of ways.

Lucent (Orinoco) makes an ethernet-to-802.11b connector box to make it easy
to hook wired-only devices to a wireless network.  See
http://www.wavelan.com/template.html?section=m57&page=125&envelope=93 for
the details; you plug your ethernet-speaking mp3 player into this, slap a
lucent 802.11 card into the pcmcia slot, and start streaming :)
Warehouse.com has this box for $219, plus the 64-bit encryption card for
another $89, and you've got a wireless solution for around $300 + shipping.

Another possibility is the Linksys WAP11 802.11 access point.  With the
latest firmware upgrade, it purportedly can be put into a bridging mode
where it acts as a repeater for the ethernet devices connected to it.  I
have one of these devices, altho I'm not using this bridging mode.
Warehouse has this one for $219.

-s
--
Steve Dossick