Usability and Software Fitness

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:15:50 -0500

Justin Mason wrote:

> Here's another 2 bits:  each of these products has different usability
> scores for different "markets", for example, Apache is beautifully usable
> for a UNIX sysadmin -- someone who knows how trad-UNIX software is
> installed and works, and where the log output appears.

My comments re: Apache were just an expression of personal taste, btw.  I
actually started life as a UNIX sysadmin running big internal networks at Sun...
but I still think Apache's config is baroque, overly complex, and more difficult
to automate than it should be.  It's tolerable --- maybe --- but there's lots of
room for improvement.

$0.02,

jb