Usability and Software Fitness

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:58:29 +0000

Jeff Bone writes:
>I think the novelty was in explicitly stating that non-technical /
>strategic business factors .. are just as much *literally* a part of
>"usability" as the more traditional definition -wrt- ergonomics and
>aesthetics.

Another way of stating this is that engineering is secondary
to business, and that engineering usability (i.e., how a
product performs in an academic lab removed from market
reality) is secondary to market availability, distribution
channel, pricing, longevity, support, the after market,
popularity, mass knowledge, packaging, etc.

Russell