IBM Invests $4 Billion to Build

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:07:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Mike Dierken wrote:

> In the 'crazy dreamers' dept...

You mean the "those who refuse to learn from history..." dept.

> IBM Invests $4 Billion to Build World-Wide Computing Utility
>
> "You'll get computing power and storage capacity -- not from your own
> computer -- but over the Internet on demand," said Mr. Wladawsky-Berger, who
> also heads IBM's Linux operating system group. "You pay for what you use,
> pretty much the way you do with electric power."

It's just too bad that this idea has repeatedly been proven over and over
and over as unviable for the last 30 years. IBM really has no excuse for
buying into this hype, THEY are one of the ones that keeps proving it's not
viable.

"Supercomputers are already used for nuclear weapons modeling in the United
States and other developed countries. Mr. Eunice suggested grids may be used
for weapons research elsewhere, or to break network encryption codes."

2 applications... 3 if you add rendering (the process of rendering and
modeling an engine aren't that different). Yup, that's about it. Killing
people more efficiently (we can nuke everything what 200x over now, do we
really need a sim?), spying on people faster (use a keylogger dumbass), and
making preaty pictures (linux cluster). You really think a company big
enough to need 50,000 CPUs doesnt already HAVE them in house, oh please.

Speaking of utilities, has anyone heard any more about how Enron is trying
to corner the fresh water market like they did with electricty? "That will
be $57 for the bath sir." Last I heard they were facing resistance from
local governments since people still remember what they did to California...
for now...

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com