Advice for REST advocates

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:15:36 -0400 (EDT)

Dave Winer writes:
> Your pitch would be a lot more palatable if there were some popular web apps
> that implemented REST-oriented wires. Then we can do a real A-B comparison.
> Unlike the old days, when apps were all locked boxes and we had to wait for
> the developers to get motivated, today enough of them are open source so
> that there's no good excuse for not providing a deployed proof of concept.

Well, there's a worldwide distributed hypermedia system called the
World-Wide Web which is pretty much entirely REST-oriented.  Is that a
good enough proof of concept for you?

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.
       -- Gandalf the White [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Two Towers", Bk 3, Ch. XI]