Advice for REST advocates

Mark Baker distobj@acm.org
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:34:42 -0400 (EDT)

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Dave Winer wrote:
>
> --]I was actually thinking of a project that scripters could do to hook up to a
> --]popular web app like Blogger (maybe Wiki) through REST so we could build
> --]glue and then look at the scripting interfaces and see if they differ in any
> --]meaningful way.
>

> Well, since the Web is REST and i use Bloober via the web, REST is already
> a part of my blogger experience. I can post to the blog, read it, edit
> it...yep all there.

Both good design and bad design are possible in the confines of an
architectural style.  REST is no different.  I haven't had a look at the
blogger interface, so I can't say for sure, but even Wikis - as Web-friendly
as you'd expect they'd come, have some issues (some practical, some bad
design).

I discuss this at HowWikiComparesToRest;

http://internet.conveyor.com/RESTwiki/moin.cgi/HowWikiComparesToRest

MB