[decentralization] Re: REST and POST

Lucas Gonze lucas@gonze.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:56:54 -0400

> There
> are good reasons for ensuring that GET remains the only method with which a
> representation can be returned without side-effect a priori (i.e. if sometimes
> the POST left a side-effect, and sometimes it didn't, then POST is the right
> method).

Pardon, but that's exactly my point.  There's no relation between the literal
characteristics of GET and POST and the broader issue of whether they have side
effects.

Unless someone can make a case that using STDIN instead of the query string
necessarily means side effects, the fix is to allow STDIN packaging for
operations without side effects a priori.  A new method GET-STDIN with the
syntax of POST and the semantics of GET?  An additional header
X-no-side-effects?  Dunno.

Programmers need STDIN packaging constantly.  That's not going to change,
regardless of how you model interactions.