[decentralization] Re: Advice for REST advocates

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:56:55 -0500

Tom wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Dave Winer wrote:
>
> --]Now a request for a friendlier term than DeRPC.
> --]
> --]Someday we'll advance beyond the "I'm so smart" type discussions and really
> --]build on each others' work. I look forward to that day.
> --]

I probably overreacted to Dave's comments in my "relax" message --- my apologies
to Dave, it wasn't intended as a lecture --- but this statement set me off a bit
and now with Tom's reaction I'm worried about how this whole "debate" may be
perceived.  I'm really concerned about this becoming a total media shitfest /
hypestorm with silly and over-sensational headlines like "Why Web Services Are
DOOMED to Fail!" --- and stuff like this doesn't help.

I don't think REST and RPC are "opposed" to each other necessarily any more than
Java and Python are opposed to each other;  each has its pros and cons, and each
has domains of interest where it is more or less appropriate than the other.
While Mark may have been cheeky in calling his process DeRPC, if interpreted
literally it's no more a slam against RPC in general or Dave's work in particular
than, say, the term "unmarshalling" is a slam against "marshalling."

I really think this whole topic needn't be some political hot potato, nor do I
think (hope!) that anybody here is trying to play IQ whip-it-out.  There's some
interesting stuff here to consider and discuss, and the whole issue is new enough
that now certainly isn't the time to be dividing up into camps and attacking, if
ever.  (Note I'll take my lumps now for having the bad foresight to entitle some
of my early messages "REST vs. RPC.")

So whaddaya think:  how about an open and productive conversation on the issue,
with hyperbole and posturing and clique-forming kept to a minimum?  BTW, *this*
message isn't a slam at Dave, either, it's just another open call for a bit of
restraint and circumspection on everybody's part.

$0.02,

jb