[decentralization] Re: REST and POST

Mark Baker distobj@acm.org
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:39:14 -0400 (EDT)

> The thing I'm most uncomfortable about with REST is this notion is
> that it describes the Web not as it is but as it should be.

I'd say it's describing the Web as it *can* be, and that has very
different implications than those you're making here.

>Reality is
> frequently a local maxima, and most people who say "Situation X is
> perfect except for these two teensy flaws which we will now correct"
> find that Situation X _relies_ on on its flaws for its continued
> existence.

I don't really see the issue.  While HTTP and URIs were designed to
deploy REST, they were not designed to exclude non-REST use (as
they shouldn't).

Web developers were, are, and continue to be free to make design
choices that are not REST-friendly, and there's absolutely nothing
wrong with that, as long as they are aware of the trade-offs
(infrastructure developers on the other hand, need to be more
careful).  The RESTwiki will hopefully eventually document these
trade-offs, as well as REST-friendly ways of doing some of the
things that developers have been doing in non-REST-friendly ways
(such as the use of the Content-Location header and its role
in bookmarking).

MB