[decentralization] Re: REST and POST

Lucas Gonze lucas@gonze.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:46:16 -0400

> One of us misunderstood the other, because that's incorrect.

It is correct that one of us misunderstood the other.

You are making the case that POST is about side effects.  I am making the case
that POST is about two unrelated things -- side effects and STDIN.

> Do you really want to have to go to the trouble of deploying this?
> How will existing browsers know to do this?  How will I represent one of
> these things in a TV ad?

If it's not doable, and I need STDIN, I will just send idempotent calls via
POST.  Which is exactly what the overwhelming majority of developers do.

> Tough nuts! 8-) GET's out of the bag, and working very well.

I'm too tough a nut to go along with that, Baker.  heh.  It is POST that is out
of the bag and working very well.

This sort of brings me to my largest problem with deliberately developing with
REST.  REST appears to make web apps more likely to create successful matings
with other web apps.  Successful matings make web apps have a larger effect on
the web as a whole.  So on the large scale we tend to see lots of RESTy apps.

But on the small scale, it doesn't matter: your boss just wants the damn thing
on time and under budget.

This is the same as the split between genes wanting everybody to reproduce, and
the real possibility that reproducing won't make an individual any happier.