[decentralization] Re: REST and POST

Mark Baker distobj@acm.org
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:33:49 -0400 (EDT)

> > Do you really want to have to go to the trouble of deploying this?
> > How will existing browsers know to do this?  How will I represent one of
> > these things in a TV ad?
>
> If it's not doable, and I need STDIN, I will just send idempotent calls via
> POST.  Which is exactly what the overwhelming majority of developers do.

So what was wrong with my suggestion for how to use both GET and POST
to get you this kind of functionality?

> > Tough nuts! 8-) GET's out of the bag, and working very well.
>
> I'm too tough a nut to go along with that, Baker.  heh.  It is POST that is out
> of the bag and working very well.
>
> This sort of brings me to my largest problem with deliberately developing with
> REST.  REST appears to make web apps more likely to create successful matings
> with other web apps.  Successful matings make web apps have a larger effect on
> the web as a whole.  So on the large scale we tend to see lots of RESTy apps.

Well said.  You should add that to the Wiki.

> But on the small scale, it doesn't matter: your boss just wants the damn thing
> on time and under budget.
>
> This is the same as the split between genes wanting everybody to reproduce, and
> the real possibility that reproducing won't make an individual any happier.

For sure.  I want people to get their work done, but if I can help them
just a little bit in understanding where this "REST Utopia" lies, then they
can make better decisions about where to spend their money.  They may not
ever get there, but every move they make in that direction will help
them and others wanting to reuse their services.

MB