A problem for "Web as distributed programming paradigm"

Mark Baker distobj@acm.org
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

> So the question becomes: What would it take to turn HTTP into Linda?
>  The REST folks keep talking about how HTTP's powerful primitives are
> all you need to get the job done, but where is TAKE?

TAKE = (WebDAV)LOCK + GET + DELETE, if you really need it.  Jeff had
some other ideas about why it wasn't necessary too.  Regardless,
the difference between TAKE and GET+DELETE isn't important to most
apps.

> Perhaps a more constructive question to ask is: Is there anything HTTP
> can do easily that Linda can't?

Get deployed!  Ba-dum. 8-)

But seriously, yah, Linda's read() wasn't guaranteed to be side-effect
free, so there was no cheap way to inspect the state of the system.
Bauhaus did better with in() which *was* side-effect free, but even
few people have heard of it (including me, until Jeff mentioned it).

MB