A problem for "Web as distributed programming paradigm"

Mark Baker distobj@acm.org
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:14:34 -0400 (EDT)

> >TAKE = (WebDAV)LOCK + GET + DELETE, if you really need it.  Jeff had
> >some other ideas about why it wasn't necessary too.  Regardless,
> >the difference between TAKE and GET+DELETE isn't important to most
> >apps.
> >
> So do you think WebDAV offers stronger primitives than HTTP?

It adds some useful ones, for sure, but none with any expressive power
that comes close to matching that of GET/PUT/POST/DELETE.

>  It seems
> that WebDAV is overly complex and the sweet spot is somewhere between
> HTTP and WebDAV.

For most people, I would expect the sweet spot is exactly HTTP.
But for those that need some parts of WebDAV, I reckon you're right.

MB