A problem for "Web as distributed programming paradigm"

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:45:07 -0400 (EDT)

> > To take one obvious example, the huge preponderance of the
> > chemical work that goes on in the brain goes on inside the neurons
> > themselves, while the information that passes between neurons is all
> > done with just a few ions, Na+, K+, and Ca++.
>
> Holy shit, Clay.  Biology is REST-based?  Is that analogy just completely
> broken, or have you just made a completely profound observation?

Well, its one of those two, or the third possibility which is that its
an observation which is not completely broken or completely profound,
as when people talk about the 'evolution' of the internet, but not in
any way that biological theories of evolution apply to directly.

So now I have to figure out which of those three possibilities it is,
but I'm leaning right now to making the argument that 'encapsulated
complexity plus restricted channels of information transfer' is an
actual deep connection between any multi-agent system, whether
biological or computational (or juridical, for that matter, as with
company to company communication.)

-clay