A problem for "Web as distributed programming paradigm"

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:46:43 +0000

Clay Shirky writes:
>In fact (WARNING: THIS POST IS LEAVING EARTH), I'll argue that IPC is more
>than a hack, its a fact of life, woven into the fabric of the universe.

Interesting post. Just to cause you a little head scratching,
I'll throw out two caveats.

>One of the really interesting questions in biology is why cells are the
>size they are. ..

Your nerves have some of the larger cells in your body.
The axons in nerves leaving your spine snake all the
way down your arms and legs. Yeah, I know: dumb network,
smart edge.

>.. the huge preponderance of the chemical work that goes on in the brain
>goes on inside the neurons themselves, while the information that passes
>between neurons is all done with just a few ions, Na+, K+, and Ca++.

That's a bit overstated. There are lots of neurotransmitters,
and they behave differently in different regions of the
brain. I'd hate to then leap to the conclusion that the
universe -- or at least, neurobiology -- is inherently a
mix of multiple protocols.

Russell