A problem for "Web as distributed programming paradigm"

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:00:56 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm not sure I see the analogy, but in any case, the brain is more
> complex --- information transmission between neurons relies on a vast
> witches' brew of chemicals...

Oh yes, my bad, I was picking the ion channel as an example, not as a
complete overview. The larger point I meant to make was that in the
brain, the amount of complexity bounded by the neuron membranes is
large compared to the complexity of the signals that pass between
neurons, but that the behavior of the system as a whole cannot be
understood by generalizing from the complex in-neuron behavior.

> Also, you can't necessarily consider the output of a single neuron in
> isolation --- the timing relative to other neurons may matter.

This I think adds to the 'brains are much more than neurons scaled up'
argument.

-clay