REST Questions

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

> > and sub the sender's timeout threshold, for a 200 to come
> > back. when i send you mail, those things don't have to be true.
>
> The 200 doesn't come from the recipient, it comes from the mailbox
> saying "thanks, got it, I'll take it from here".
>
> There's actually many possibilities for how this can be structured.
[...]

See, this is where I get off the REST bus. I say "Can you do REST over
SMTP?", knowing that there is a big move in the Web Services world to
use both SMTP and Jabber as transport mechanisms and wondering if that
is incompatible with RESTfulness, and you say "Yes, sure you can", by
which you mean "No, absolutely not, what you need to do instead is
replace SMTP with HTTP."

The installed base of SMTP is so vast its never going away, so the
real answer here is "REST can only be done over HTTP, the One True
Protocol".

-clay