Random IM musings...

Dan Brickley danbri@w3.org
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:10:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:

> > So basicly the new has enhanced the ability to talk to people I already
> > know, and completely destroyed any social mechanisms. Has anyone else
> > noticed this?
>
> I don't use IM at all, and I have noticed this.  I admit I don't know what
> I'm missing.  There may be FoRK IM and music and trading cultures that I
> should be connected to.  I'm way too isolated, so I wish such things worked.

I've never heard of a FoRK IM channel/area/whatever, but thought I'd lurk
in #fork on irc:irc.openprojects.net channel for a while, on the
offchance any of the rest of you already make use of the OpenProjects IRC
server network. The #fork channel didn't exist before btw, to best of my
(hazy) knowledge. I use the nearby #rdfig as a kind of virtual office
policy so people can find me, and tend to agree with the comments about
recent IM being too 1:1 focussed. In #rdfig we have logging and
collaborative annotation gadgets (see http://rdfig.xmlhack.com/) that
brighten the place up a bit. the main downside is the fragemented nature
of the IRC world; too many server networks to choose from...

--danbri