REST: everything old is new again?

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:19:39 -0500

Bill Hofmann wrote:

> The power of OO, to me, is a way of *codifying* best practices
> for building code: Booch and cohorts didn't invent encapsulation
> or other good things, they provided a *new way* of thinking that
> made doing the right thing easier.

So what happens when best practices turn out...  not to be?

The whole REST argument has me thinking back to the early OOP
hypestorm back in the late 80s.  The whole point was "reusability."
But for all the focus on reusability, I wonder if OOP has even come
close to achieving the reusability experienced by UNIX shell tool
users...  it would be interesting to know, for instance, how many
times in non-tool application code various POSIX system calls have
ever been called relative to how many times its been called by a
small set of higher-level components like grep, etc.

One fundamental question lurking in all of this is:  how do we best
achieve reusability so that we can all build on each other's work?

jb