The Dave Scripting Challenge

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:15:09 -0500

Jeff Bone wrote:

> > Dude, I've already answered that question. ;->
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/applescript/
>
> It was rhetorical, and no, I don't think that suffices.

That wasn't meant as a swipe at Applescript;  here's what I mean.  I'm
sitting here right now looking at Ethan Wilde's _Applescript for the
Internet_ (circa System 8.5).  I picked up a copy out of curiousity at a
clearance sale a while back, I'll admit up front to never having done any
Applescript since *way, way* back in the day.  It seems that modern
Applescript gives you some rather simple ways to publish a CGI handler
and (conversely) fetch things from the Web.

What it doesn't provide is a higher-level orchestration or coordination
framework than you might expect from any language.  You get the usual
control flow things, assignment, and a reactive event framework to plug
into.  There's really no "compositional" metaphor for plugging Web
services together beyond that...  now, sure, that's sufficient for doing
anything you might want to do.  But it it a good fit, the same way the
Unix shell is a good fit for dataflow programming?  I wouldn't think
so...

$0.02,

jb