REST Questions

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:14:05 -0700

> Mike Dierken wrote:
>

> > If your goal is to share information (including the results of
> > computations and database queries) then RPCs don't really seem to
> > simplify anything. After all, what could be simpler than
> > dereferencing a
> > URL? Bluntly: stockquotes don't benefit from RPC.
> >

> Not everyone that writes software sees it as information sharing.

That's why the paragraph starts with "if". :-)

I would claim that any method of the form "getFOO" is probably
information sharing and should probably have a GET/HTTP/XML equivalent
for reasons of scalability, addressability and wide utility. RPCs are
probably very useful for procedural-type stuff with side effects, but if
you look at xmethods.com you'll see alot of the current examples are
information sharing that are probably best done more simply.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.