REST: everything old is new again?

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:31:30 -0500

Sateesh Narahari wrote:

> contrary to the popular internet myth that OO reuse is not happening, its
> actually happening.
>
> If we don't get bogged down in thinking reuse only applies to code, then
> reusability is being achieved in OO world thru cataloging of Design
> Patterns.
>
> Its not code-reuse, but its reuse, and its highly useful.

Yup, and I think that's hilarious. :-)  I've been picking at an essay called
"Reuse Reconsidered" for a few days now, and maybe I'll finish it thisevening
if the creek doesn't flood my house.  (We're having torrential rains, here.)
But one of the things mentioned in it is that after slicing-and-dicing reuse
in N ways, the OO community just threw up its hands and said "forget reusing
artifacts, we'll just reuse design and that's good enough."

I don't think that's the best we can do, though.  Both the UNIX software tools
philosophy and the Web itself represent reuse on a MUCH grander and more
practical scale than has ever been achieved by OO techniques.

I'm thinking maybe there's a lesson there...

jb