REST: everything old is new again?

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:46:41 -0500

Dave Winer wrote:

> I don't think REST is one. [higher-level abstraction]

You may well be right.  I certainly would've agreed with you as recently as a
few weeks ago.  Now, I'm not so sure.  This whole discussion isn't an attempt to
evangelize something that's fully baked;  it's an exploration into something
that may or may not have significance in terms that are meaningful to our
industry:  scalability, reuse, technology adoption and propagation, etc.  If
there's a chance that it has some significance in those areas, it's worth
exploring --- don't you think?

> I think that it's at the same level as RPC.

Noted.  Further detailed explanation of this viewpoint would be useful in this
discussion, don't you think?  The REST argument has for a long time relied on
vague nods to existing practices as validation, and most of the conversations we
had about this stuff up until recently usually ended with somebody deferring to
their own experience and expertise without further explanation.  I think we're
all attempting to raise the level of discussion somewhat to particulars....  I'd
love to hear more details about why you think this is true beyond "been there,
done that."

> I also think I've seen what happens when you follow it through to its
> logical conclusion.

Again, detail appreciated...

jb