Is design reuse is a sign of our failure ?

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 03:57:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Russell Turpin wrote:

> I must confess that each and every time I reuse a common design, I feel
> as if that is a sign of our profession's failure. Unlike wood, cable,
> and flesh, software is subject -- already! -- to complete manipulation
> by other software. At the very least, shouldn't we be able to point to
> the design we select, point to where it needs to be applied, and say
> "*that* design, *there*," without ever having to write i++?? Writing
> code that implements a design the n-th time is downright tedious, though
> it does seem that the language changes every few years.

No no no, that's the POINT!

It is that tedious BS that keeps coders working their day job.

You don't really think there would be work for more then say 30 coders if
they were actually expected to do something NEW do you? (10 at Apple to
invent it, 10 at MS to copy them, 10 open source guys to copy MS/Apple)

Coding isnt a field like the rest you list where someone has to physicly do
something. Once someone writes the script, noone ever has to do anything
again. So instead, we keep rewriting the script over and over.

My n-2 day job I had figured out in 2 days, we had meetings for the other
few months I was there, about adding features we never implemented anyway,
and then they cancelled the project 2 weeks after I left. I remember alot of
waiting 2 months for the Java team of like 20 people to implement something
that was about 10 lines of PHP.

At my n-1 day job, as far as I can tell, we were adding one feature to an
internal tool by rewriting the whole thing, but with all the meetings, I
dont even know what we were doing.

So shut up about reuse already. Do you want to destroy the whole programming
field or something? My god, if management ever figured this out... glad they
are too busy in meetings.

BTW, too much code is now in Java or Perl, what's next? XML and friends
show real promise for years and years of surfing the web.. er day jobs.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com