Seeking old bits about a game

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:50:18 -0700

Clay Shirky wrote:

> What was that game where the rules included instructions for allowing
> the players to change the rules as the game progressed?
>
> Googling the obvious terms she no is working for me.

At Waterloo we played a card game of that sort called Mao.

http://www.pagat.com/eights/mao.html

"The main feature of Mao which distinguishes it from many of its
predecessors is that there is a rule against explaining or asking about
the rules. New players are expected to join a game and deduce the rules
of play by observation, trial and error.

This ban on explaining the rules makes it rather awkward to produce a
useful web page about Mao without violating its key principle, but that
has not stopped several people from trying."

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.