A modest question: Should we abolish the PhD degree?

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:01:13 -0500

Steve Dossick writes:
> ...and the corrollary to this is that there's a lot more to
> doing research than just doing research and publishing
> papers.  No matter where you do research (or _any_
> original work, including starting a company) you will
> always have to manage expectations of others, keep
> them happy with your plans, and generally manage
> your own way through the process. ..

Good point! My one comment is that managing a
PhD committee seems (to me) quite a bit different
from managing research proposals, or the various
parties in a commercial venture. Maybe others
find it a good stepping stone from the former to
the latter. If this is its incremental purpose
(beyond doing the research and publishing papers),
I wonder if it couldn't be better tuned to it.

Russell