A modest question: Should we abolish the PhD degree?

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:02:26 -0700

> The esteemed and
> aforementioned Dr. Turpin stands at the head of the pack as one of
> the few esteemed doctors I know who I actually trust to produce
> code...  :-)  (That's a kudo, Russell, take it and run! :-)

I'm assuming this is Dr. Turpin's work:

PROGRAMMING DATA STRUCTURES IN LOGIC (LOGIC PROGRAMMING). TURPIN, WILLIAM
RUSSELL, PHD. THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN, 1992. 174 pp. Advisor:
BROWNE, JAMES C.

Which is perhaps more widely available as:

 Russell Turpin: A Logical Approach to Data Structures. SIGSOFT FSE 1993:
138-148

Which means, ironically, that Russell and I both attended SIGSOFT'93 without
apparently meeting each other...

Russell, why don't you make a PDF document of your dissertation and place it
on the Web?

- Jim