Power lines not dangerous...

Chuck Murcko chuck@topsail.org
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:42:41 -0400

On Wednesday, August 29, 2001, at 12:51 AM, CDale wrote:

> The resonance of a chicken's head is 17hz.

Oh no! I just got an image of a Real Big Boombox and chickens flopping
around. 8^)

Some numbers I've run across in other careers:

Humans have an acoustic resonance at 6-7 Hz that the US Army tried to
use in the 1960s as a disabling weapon. Unfortunately it's a tad
difficult to make such acoustic waves directionally, and so everyone
near the tests lost muscular control. Wotta mess.

Electromagnetic resonances of note:

Living human body is lengthwise resonant at 150-300 MHz depending on
height and age.

Living human skull cavity is resonant in the 800-900 MHz range.

Living eyeball and testicular cavities are resonant at around 2.5 GHz.
This is curious considering the height most microwave ovens are mounted
at. 8^) And *don't* stare down the bore of that high gain 802.11b link
antenna when it's on.

Field strengths in these last three cases are almost always dipolar far
fields, field strength falling as the square of the distance to the
source. The effects are thermal, since the frequencies to produce
quantum effects are much higher (by a factor of 10^6).

More info pertinent to interested FoRKers is at

http://www.e-technik.uni-kl.de/mpcs/leitgeb/leitgeb.html

Chuck