A modest question: Should we abolish the PhD degree?

Grlygrl201@aol.com Grlygrl201@aol.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:26:04 EDT

--part1_108.4a9aa14.28bed40c_boundary

In a message dated 8/29/01 2:56:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jbone@jump.net
writes:

> Both of these are over-simplifications, but the question remains:  should
> anyone be
> able to support themselves indefinitely through publically-funded and purely
> intellectual creations which remain indirectly- or under- or unexploited /
> uncommercialized / unvalued (and culturally and definitionally un- or
> invaluable) in
> the public marketplace?

is it just my perception, or is this argument really just a variation of
working class resentment of the higher-educated? sounds like it's evolving
into the familiar class conflict theme: tax payers vs public funding.

geege

--part1_108.4a9aa14.28bed40c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 8/29/01 2:56:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jbone@jump.net