Book contract question

Reza B'Far rbfar@ebuilt.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:02:17 -0700

Wow... Good input...

I have no clue about these things... I like money, but not desparate for it
:-)  I wasn't really looking at making a good hourly wage off the book ...
Can do a LOT better than that with side gigs, etc.

I was thinking it would be a good thing for recognition, etc. (higher
numbers for the next job).... BUT, it's good to know this is too low...

Any one else have experience with this stuff...?

PS:  "I'm a whore, but not a cheap whore" :-) Just kidding...

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com]On Behalf Of
Kelley
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 6:39 PM
To: rbfar@cienecs.com; FoRK
Subject: Re: Book contract question

Reza B'Far wrote:
>Everyone on the list:
>
>I've got an offer to author a book and, frankly, I know very little about
>what's fair and what's unfair... I've never written a book, just some
>articles, IEEE stuff, etc.  Here are the terms of the contract.  Can you
>guys tell me what you think?
>
>--13% royalties (based on global net receipts)
>--an advance of $5000, 50% paid upon acceptance of manuscript, 50% upon
>publication
>--publisher will pay for your index
>
>The book is about 900 pages and is on a software engineering topic.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Reza

Hi Reza,
I asked someone who has some experience and he said, to quote:

"1. 900 Pages (6 months) for $5000, if they like it? $0 if they don't? Only
if you are $-deperate, need to launch a writing career, have a half year
free time, or are ego ridden.

I wouldn't consider it.

Also: 13% of net is about 5% of retail which SUCKS!!!

Who is the whore monger offering such a pittance?"

Kelley