Fw: "IT" is finally unveiled

Antoun Nabhan antoun@incellico.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:50:36 -0500

I don't understand who the heck is writing these articles that are so
skeptical about the need for these things. I've lived in cities for a long
time and commuted by all sorts of methods, and I can't count the number of
conversations I've had about this intermediate zone between walking length
and driving length that isn't filled properly by bikes or Vespas or golf
carts.

A lot of this is a regulatory issue - two-wheeled vehicles would be safer
on the street if there were more of them and fewer cars, so that people
were calibrated to look out for and occasionally yield to such things.
(It's scary to ride a Vespa or motorcyle on the crowded, hilly streets of
San Francisco, and I generally have a high tolerance for controllable risks
where wheeled vehicles are concerned.) Licensing is also more difficult for
two-wheeled vehicles in my neck of the woods. Many other countries, whose
cities are not beset by tort lawyers and Nader disciples, have clued in to
the notion that really tiny four-wheeled vehicles and motorized two-wheel
vehicles are Good Things and should be encouraged, and bikes should be
allowed on sidewalks where they won't get door-gored nearly so often.

It would also be nice if these Segways would be widely used enough to get
CARB to shut the hell up about electric cars, which in their paradigm have
to have the capabilities - and hence weight - of real cars, but with a much
less efficient power source.

Now, if they would just make Segways $1000-$1500 instead of $3000. But I
suppose that will happen with higher volume.

--A.