Fw: "IT" is finally unveiled

Damien Morton morton@dennisinter.com
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:20:52 -0500

Frankly, I dont see a huge difference between an electric scooter (e.g.
www.xootr.com) and a 'segway', except for the positioning ans size of
the wheels and a complex, heavy and expensive control system.

               Xootr    Segway
Speed (mph)     17        17
Range (miles)   12        17
Weight (lbs)    20        65
Price ($)      1000      3000

Why the Governement would be buying these things at $8000 a pop escapes
me. What a fucking rip off. A good use for public money? Maybe they have
military applications?

In the Time article they talk about the regulatory issues, trying to get
the the thing authorised for footpath use. If they get footpath use for
this thing, then why not the Xootr?=20

I did see a lovely use of the non-electric Xootrs a while back. It was
at Schipol airport in Amsterdam. All the KLM hostesses used them to get
around the terminals. They wear these cute (red?) capes and look like
flying nuns as they whiz around on these scooters. Very cool. Very dutch
solution.

Damien Morton, Technical Director, Dennis Interactive

"Why is the moon more important than the sun?"
"Because we need the light more at night!"
-- Nasredin
=20