IT's marketing, not politics

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:53:47 -0800

IT doesn't seem to do much beyond what a motorized wheelchair or
senior-citizen mobility cart does -- nor was I aware that
maintaining balance was the major adoption barrier for more
conventional motorized scooters.

No, I think the bells and whistles are mostle a positioning trick --
to get over the stigma, but not outdo the functionality, of existing
close substitutes.

Current 1-person motorized transports are thought of as being for
the either infirm or kids/showoffs. By adopting a "face-forward
standing" orientation, adding some techno-gyroscopic whiz-bang,
and making bold pronouncements about reshaping urban transit, the
Segway is trying to avoid such pigeonholing.

- Gordon