Cloning and Politics

Robert Harley robert.harley@inria.fr
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 01:14:26 +0100 (MET)

>Those who answer the first then need to explain
>WHY we care only about the diploid members of our
>species. And please don't give me any crap about the
>haploid members not being complete organisms.

I believe I said: "a live diploid cell with a full set of human
chromosomes and the ability to grow through embryo-hood".  As far as I
am aware, a human haploid cell cannot do so.  Even a female embryo
with one X instead of two is very likely to be aborted, even though in
those with two X's one of the X's gets disabled at about 100 cells
anyway.  I don't think any other cases of missing chromosomes are
viable, never mind with half of them missing!