Cloning and Politics

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 00:54:23 +0000

I wrote:
>>Those who answer the first then need to explain
>>WHY we care only about the diploid members of our
>>species. And please don't give me any crap about the
>>haploid members not being complete organisms.

Robert Harley responds:
>I believe I said: "a live diploid cell with a full set of human chromosomes
>and the ability to grow through embryo-hood". ..

You're missing the point. I'm asking WHY you draw the
line this way. You're making a definition from a set
of biological conditions. What THOSE conditions?

By the way, in the near future, we'll be able to coax
somatic cells -- beginning with stem cells -- through
"embryo-hood." Does that mean we should be giving them
legal rights? And if the answer is "no, because it
takes coaxing of the right type," then why doesn't
this also exclude embryos outside the womb?

Russell