Stay up late

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:47:32 -0600

Tom Hume wrote:

>  >>--- potentially for days on end, eliminating the desire to sleep entirely.

I'm just reiterating the spin that GMA put on the story.

> No, patients using the drug for treatment of narcolepsy are still required
> to sleep for a normal amount of time unless they wish to experience the
> usual effects of chronic insomnia (loss of energy and alertness, degradation
> of rection times, loss of coordination, hallucinations, etc.). And as far
> as I'm aware it has NO effects at all on normal test subjects.

Not true at all.  The researcher they interviewed on GMA noted that it's being
prescribed at rates that indicate it's *currently* being used by many, many
non-narcoleptics for the purpose of sustained wakefulness.  And again, he claimed
that it's being used by the military on those round-trip Afghan bombing runs.

> According to the product information it has less side effects than these
> traditional treatments for narcolepsy, but it still doesn't eliminate the
> need for normal sleep.

I didn't say it eliminated it --- rather, per the researcher, it was claimed that
it forestalls it for long periods of time without the usual monotonic decrease in
ability to concentrate and perform certain tasks.

> Where are these two pieces of information from?

Are you completely oblivious?

LIKE I SAID IN THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE, GOOD MORNING AMERICA!  LOOK, YES, THIS IS
HEARSAY --- BUT I SAT AND WATCHED THE FREAKIN' SHOW, THEN SAT DOWN AND WROTE THAT
FREAKIN' E-MAIL!  ORDER A FUCKING COPY OF THAT EPISODE, WATCH IT, THEN COME ARGUE
WITH ME ABOUT WHAT *THEY* SAID!

> Who says bomber pilots are using it?

THE.  TALKING.  HEAD.  SLEEP.  RESEARCHER.  ON.  GOOD.  MORNING.  AMERICA.
YESTERDAY.  DECEMBER.  04.  2001.  GOT IT?

jb