Cloning and Politics

Robert Harley robert.harley@inria.fr
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:40:04 +0100 (MET)

Russell Turpin wrote:
>Nice try, but no cigar.

Actually, I'll have my cigar and smoke it, thankyouverymuch.

Puff, puff...

Eeewwwhhh, what's that taste???  Don't tell me it was one of
Clinton's "used" cigars!

>"Create" is not equivalent to "save."

No really?  That would explain why they are written differently.
I knew as soon as I typed both that you would clutch at this straw.

>If you were to kill anyone because it helps
>you create someone else, you'll be tried for murder.

If you ended one pre-existing life in order to help create another
one, that might well be the case.  But when creating a life requires
creating others that will probably be lost, that's a different
scenario.  Which would be why they're written differently.

A couple may certainly choose IVF even if they believe that week-old
embryos are valuable.  IMO, such a decision is qualitatively (but not
quantitatively) like choosing to separate siamese twins, even when
saving one will probably cause the other to die.  Should that choice
be made?  Sure.