[VOID] Into the sixth power circle.

Adam Rifkin Adam@KnowNow.com
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:57:54 -0800

So... all factors considering, everything at KnowNow is going quite
well.  We have customers, the product is improving everyday, the team is
learning how to work together, and the whole process has made me so much
more aware & self-aware -- like Jeff suggests, I'm a stronger, better,
smarter, more capable person for it.

Instead, that vented frustration that got firehosed out at the beginning
of this thread was the result of two years of Rohit pushing me and
pushing me more and pushing me even more to "be the best".  Enough.  I
gotta let him let me do the Frankie Goes to Hollywood thing, and just
RELAX.

Now that this thread is nearly out of my head, I can go back to work.
Thanks for the reminders, Jeff and Tom, not to take myself too
seriously.

The note I wrote is mostly a snapshot of a frame of mind I'd like to go
back and visit in 2002, 2003, and beyond.  Just like the notes I wrote
in 1999 and 2000 were littered with stock references, and I smile fondly
whenever I go back and read those snapshots and realize how seemingly
important those things were to me back then -- this note, forever
archived on the Web, will let me smile fondly about these crib notes of
what I think is so seemingly important as 2001 draws to a close.

The only way a system can improve is to be honest about what it has done
wrong and what could be done better, and use that to feedback the new
knowledge and wisdom into the system.

I've passed Jeff's stages 1 through 4 at KnowNow, and stage 5
("Acceptance") is a reasonable place to plateau for a while... what's
amazing to me is that I can still offer KnowNow a lot despite the fact
that my formerly-18-hour workdays have given way to
merely-10-hour-workdays.

Maybe this isn't the kind of marathon I can run as a sprint after all.

  -- Adam

----
aDaM@XeNT.CoM

I believe man will not merely endure; he will prevail.  He is immortal,
not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but
because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and
endurance.  The poet's, the writer's duty is to write about these
things.  It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by
reminding him of the courage and honour and hope and pride and
compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past.
The poet's voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one of
the props, the pillars to help him endure and prevail.
  -- William Faulkner, from his acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize
for literature, 1949