Crude (was RE: Gratuitous titillation)

owen@sunserver.permafrost.net owen@sunserver.permafrost.net
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:52:54 -0400

> A theory making the rounds on the Internet, on the airwaves, and in the press claims that the bombing of the Taliban has nothing to do with a "war on terrorism" but everything to do with the oil pipeline the West wants to build through Afghanistan. Where did this theory start, and how did it spread?

I'm on record here as favoring the "Its all about the heroin, stupid" conspiracy theory. ;-)

http://www.msnbc.com/news/668395.asp

In lawless land, poppy reigns again

Afghan farmers resume growing valuable cash crop

By Mike Taibbi
NBC NEWS

      JALALABAD, Afghanistan, Dec. 6   Poppy seedlings were peeking up through the earth of Ali Khans
three acres of land in eastern Afghanistan this week. He planted them the day after the Taliban surrendered
Jalalabad and the surrounding territory to opposition forces, and now hes awaiting a bountiful crop that he
hopes can improve his familys meager circumstances.

Owen