Words, once slipped .. (was: usenet for all time)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:10:46 +0000

Hokkun Pang wrote:
>well, we have enough people who were around before www, aol, yahoo etc. how
>many of you knew, back in the 80s, that your usenet postings would be
>permanently archived and searchable? ..

My father, who will be 79 in March, who grew up in
Appalachia, who still does not use a computer, who
wouldn't know Google from an oil lamp, told me from
the time I was small that whatever one says or writes
in public can reappear at the most unexpected time or
place, so think before you let loose the words, and
always mind your grammar. I suspect if one searches
the archives for the first recorded expression of this
idea, it gets credited to some ancient Greek, though
likely it was old even then.

So no, you don't get excused from paying attention to
what has long been true, just because advances in
technology make it even more so.

Russell