NYTimes.com Article: U.S. Warning of Death Toll From Obesity

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:09:48 +0000

There are two important differences between overeating and
tobacco use. (1) You can quit tobacco. Completely. And it's
best for your health if you do. You can't quit food. The
problem, for an individual, is not the Big Mac he has for
lunch. It's the *two* Big Mac. And fries. Not that I am
pointing any fingers. (2) The effects of food cannot be
separated from the effects of exercise. Or lack thereof.

>Losing even 10 pounds can reduce the risk of getting
>diabetes or heart disease, Dr. Satcher said, as can simply
>walking 30 minutes a day.

Perhaps cities that create a transportation infrastructure
that makes it difficult or dangerous to walk or bike carry
as much of the blame as -- maybe more than -- the fast
food restaurants?

Russell