NYTimes.com Article: U.S. Warning of Death Toll From Obesity

Sherry Listgarten sherry@timesten.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:14:46 -0800

Being heavy correlates with "unwellness", but so does lack of exercise.
There are many fit and healthy heavy people, and many unfit and =
unhealthy
skinny people. I wonder what matters for what.

Something interesting, and probably not considered by this study: if =
you get
sick or injured, regardless of the cause, being heavy can impede =
treatment.
Specifically, phlebotomists have more trouble drawing blood; nurses =
have
more trouble inserting IV's; anesthesiologists have more trouble
administering the anesthesia; surgeons may have more difficulty =
navigating
the body; etc. The difficulties are real -- I've heard them mentioned =
by
several medical professionals.

Definitely a bummer, as weight can be a tough thing to change.

-- Sherry.

rbucks&categoryFname=3DSaleFClearance&ci=3D274
> [...]
> =20
>=20
> WASHINGTON, Dec. 13 - Some 300,000 Americans a year die
> from illnesses caused or worsened by obesity, a toll that
> may soon overtake tobacco as the chief cause of preventable
> deaths, Dr. David Satcher, the surgeon general, said today.
>=20
>=20
> Dr. Satcher called for major steps by schools, communities
> and industry to fight obesity.=20
>=20
> "We're not talking about quick-fix diets," Dr. Satcher
> said. "We're talking about lifestyles."=20
>=20
> About 60 percent of adults are overweight or obese, as are
> nearly 13 percent of children. According to the surgeon
> general's height and weight index, a 5-foot-6 adult is
> overweight at 160 pounds and obese at 190. The toll of
> obesity has been rising and threatens to wipe out progress
> fighting cancer, heart disease and other ailments, Dr.
> Satcher warned.=20
>=20
> The reason is not a mystery: People eat more calories -
> often by shunning fruits and vegetables in favor of
> super-size junk foods - than they work off.=20
>=20
> Losing even 10 pounds can reduce the risk of getting
> diabetes or heart disease, Dr. Satcher said, as can simply
> walking 30 minutes a day.=20
>=20
> "Every pound counts," he said.=20
>=20
> Dr. Satcher's other recommendations included these:
>=20
>=20
> =B6Schools must provide daily physical education for every
> grade.=20
>=20
> =B6Schools must provide more healthful food options and
> better enforce federal rules restricting students' access
> to junk food in vending machines.=20
>=20
> =B6Communities must create safe playgrounds, sidewalks or
> walking trails, particularly in cities. Employers should
> provide time for workers to get physical activity on the
> job.=20
>=20
> =B6Industry should promote more healthful food choices,
> including "reasonable portion sizes."=20
>=20
> The poor have a tendency to be fattest, and Dr. Satcher
> noted that in inner cities, fast-food restaurants often
> crowd out sources of more healthful foods. He urged
> communities to study fast-food marketing practices. And he
> encouraged government projects to increase access to fruits
> and vegetables.=20
>=20
> The National Restaurant Association rejected as simplistic
> the idea that fast-food restaurants cause obesity, and the
> National Soft Drink Association urged more focus on the
> exercise recommendations. Consumer advocates praised the
7440&ei=3D1&en=3De627f87485871882

HOW TO ADVERTISE
For information on advertising in e-mail newsletters=20
or other creative advertising opportunities with The=20
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson=20
Racer at alyson@nytimes.com or visit our online media=20
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

For general information about NYTimes.com, write to=20
help@nytimes.com. =20

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company