W3C TAG

Dan Brickley danbri@w3.org
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:02:43 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> how WebDAV could be designed to interoperate with Crit?  Why does no
> one in your group or the W3C yet acknowledge or cite Crit in your
> documents as related work?
[...]		  Where is my motivation to continue working on Crit
> when the W3C has consistently ignored real working implementations
> like Crit and MINSE in favour of complex unimplemented specifications
> like XPointer and MathML?

Hey, is it beat up on W3C week?! Sometimes your friendly neighbourhood
industry consortia isn't entirely evil and stupid...

http://www.google.com/search?q=crit+annotations+site%3Awww.w3.org

I'm a big Crit fan, and plug it from the (yes mostly unmaintained)
Collaboration page, http://www.w3.org/Collaboration/
	[[[
	The Crit service, based on CritLink (opensource Perl software) is one of
	the longest established online annotation servers.
	]]]

There are comments on Crit in the Annotea writeup at
http://www.w3.org/2000/02/collaboration/annotation/papers/annotationinfrastructure
[[[
The CritLink [Yee98] annotation tool uses the proxy approach where a Web
page and its annotations are served through a different URI address than
the original page. This approach works with any existing browser. However,
the user must use different addresses for the document depending on which
annotation proxy server is used. This is a limitation as we want to
support the use of multiple servers each serving a certain community of
users. The proxy approach inherently restricts also the types of content
that can be annotated and the presentation styles that can be used for the
annotations. Typically, presentation of the annotations is limited to the
presentation styles available through HTML. InterNote [Vasudevan99] is a
proxy based server that supports multiple annotation servers by modifying
the browser.
[...]
Later, our goal is that also other browsers would be able to at least read
the annotation data. For instance, we have discussed the possibility of
serving the annotations in a form usable with the CritLink tool [Yee98] or
with Xlink knowledgeable browsers. To do that the server would need to
convert the annotations from RDF to CritLink or XLink formats when that is
requested as output.
]]]

I did a bit of work on this last point btw. I thought it'd be very cool to
show two-way exchange of data between Crit and the RDF-based W3C tool,
Annotea. I never quite got my head around Crit's Perl API and Annotea
wasn't finished at the time, but I'd love to revisit the project.

Reminds me: what's the privacy policy etc on the data at crit.org? Would
it be feasible to make RDF and/or dumps of the raw annotations data? (er,
or maybe a WebDAV interface...?)

Dan