W3C TAG

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:26:12 -0800

> To open a word document on a webdav server using web folders, you
> have make a local copy... that's because they're a shell extension.

This actually isn't all that different from the caching strategies employed
by network file system protocols, which typically either cache the first 8k,
or, as I think is more the norm these days, the entire file is cached.

> That said, I think comparing WebDAV to filesystem(protocols) is
> off the mark?
> Do you agree or disagree? Is making WebDAV a filesystem a goal?

My personal goal for WebDAV/DeltaV is to make the Web a high-quality object
management infrastructure for remote collaborative Software Engineering.

But, since many people are using WebDAV as a network filesystem protocol,
and appear to be solving real-world problems by doing so, it begs multiple
questions:
(a) how different is DAV from existing network file system protocols
(b) how might DAV be modified to better accommodate those clients that use
it as a network file system protocol

- Jim