WebDAV is (not?) a filesystem protocol (was Re: W3C TAG)

kragen@pobox.com kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:30:37 -0500 (EST)

Gavin Thomas Nicol writes:
> I think a filesystem(protocol), even a networked/distributed one, is
> very different from a distributed authoring and versioning protocol.

Why do you think that?  It seems to me that they accomplish essentially
the same task, although they emphasize different aspects of it.

You might as well say that a graphics protocol, even a
networked/distributed one, is very different from a hypertext document
transfer protocol and a hypertext markup language.  Not that you'd be
wrong if you said that...