HTTP callback scheme?

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:27:38 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> My thought was that instead of
> transmitting the file, you'd send the URL... and then the server could come
> and fetch the file from you. That way, only requested data is ever sent.
>
> I'm surprised this hasn't taken off... it can be made quite secure pretty
> easily...

I've always wondered why email doesn't work this way, sending only
to/from/subject metadata. The user could then store a simple regex friendly
auto-fetch-people list. Virtually eliminates spam, and the
bandwidth savings are wowzers, think of the mailing lists.

Of course now in our world of firewalls, where only a tiny fractions of
machines are really on the net itself, it's a good thing it wasnt dont this
way.

Web based lists now effectively do this anyway, and you can insert all kinds
of crazy screen-takeover advertising in a web page.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com