KnowNow, Web Services, Dr. Dobbs and all that

Frank D. Greco fgreco@CrossroadsTech.com
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 11:11:01 -0500

 >Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 07:54:49 -0800
 >From: "Gregory Alan Bolcer" <gbolcer@endeavors.com>

 >The KnowNow ad is titled "Implementing Web Services <it>Today</it>" and
 >is written by Steve Dossick and Rick Caccia. The summary goes like this:

 >    An Example: Integrating Web Services with KnowNow

We've been doing "web services" with pub/sub for over 10 years on
Wall Street.  Moving this "intellectual equity" over to KN and HTTP was
pretty straightforward.  The hard part is creating the actual web
services themselves.

KN is clearly much simpler connective tissue for web services than
direct SOAP/UDDI (and the rest of that inelegance).  We've had a lot
of success with it.

Now all we need to do is make the process of creating secure, reliable
backend web services easy and painless.  Both EJB and .NET require senior
developers.  This won't cut it going forward.  Most IDE's don't do the job
either.

There needs to be a better model for "web services" development that
the average app programmer (not expert) can handle.  Most IDE's require
the knowledge of Java, deep understanding of OO, how app servers work,
et al.  Its time for another mini big-bang imho.

Frank G.