Open source optimizes everything, even things no one cares about. ..

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:39:45 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:

> Just noticed a posting on freshmeat.net for a "Super sed"  -- I'm sure
> it's a fine piece of work, but why?

Why is preaty much what I say to most all freshmeat/sourceforge projects.

Basicly, geeks need something to do too. Normal people are out drinking,
playing sports, watching TV for hours, having sex, raising hellspawn.

Geeks really dont do these things. So, geeks rewrite and rerewrite software,
over and over and over. Trying to obtain that transcendent piece of code so
complex that no other geek can copy it, creating the potential for brief
profit. Of course this has never happened.

Or, a simpler answer, geeks just dont play well with others. So the odds of
two geeks that are working on the exact same thing actually working
_together_ are basicly zero. Noone really expects the above geek to go help
with Perl/Python/Java/(insert one of the 10000 interpreted languages here,
which just proves my point!)

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com