Open source optimizes everything, even things no one cares about...

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 11:56:57 -0600

"Adam L. Beberg" wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:
>
> > Just noticed a posting on freshmeat.net for a "Super sed"  -- I'm sure
> > it's a fine piece of work, but why?

Ages ago IIRC sed had some unfortunate line-length and other limitations.  Maybe
this was just an effort to fix those kinds of problems, assuming they still
exist in the std gnu sed.  (SunOS) sed's regex engine also used to be slow
compared to other regex implementations, dunno about the gnu one.  I'll bet
somebody who had a heavy application of sed was bumping into some of these types
of issues and decided to simply take matters into her own hands and make some
overdue tune-ups.

jb